1102 Sedalia Crossing Lane
Whitsett, NC 27377
Phone: (336) 449-5161
Fax: (336) 449-5129
Operated by the city of Burlington with cooperation with Guilford County, Guilford-Mackintosh Marina sits on Lake Mackintosh in Guilford County. Although fishing, boating, rental boats and paddle boats are allowed, swimming as well as wading, or personal watercrafts are not allowed since the lake is Burlington's primary water reserve. There is also a 3-mile walk and bike trail to enjoy, as well as a volleyball court, horseshoe, and playground.
Covering over 1,100 acres, this beautiful lake offers an array of recreational activities such as fishing and boating, and rental boats and paddle boats are available. A lakeside clubhouse is also on site, as well as a variety of picnic sites and a children's playground.
"A State Historic Site and a Primary Revolutionary War Site", this historic site is the site where Royal Governor William Tryon led the North Carolina militia in battle against the Regulators on May 16, 1771. A 1780 log house used by frontier people on the western fringes of the colony is also located on the grounds; the house contains its original furnishings.
The Alamance Battleground is the place where the Regulators, a group of rebellious backcountry farmers, fought the militia of led by royal Governor William Tryon. Although the Regulators were thwarted, the spirit of their resentments of unfair taxes and fees by the British Crown never wavered as well as similar strategies were formed when the Colonist fought against the British in the American Revolution. Historic structures like the John Allen House, which was originally built in 1780, still stands and furnished with all the trimmings from the period. Monuments and trails are scattered around and about the area as well.
Northeast Park is 374 acres of luscious green land and outdoor goodness. Operated by the town of Gibsonville, the park has an art aquatic center and miles upon miles of trails to walk and hike, and even room for an equestrian trail. Those looking for a spooky old time during Halloween, be sure to check out the park's Halloween Trail each October. Fishing is allowed in Bass Pond or Reedy Fork Creek. Likewise, canoes and kayaks can ride down Reedy Fork and Buffalo Creek. Picnic areas and playgrounds as well. An altogether grand day out.
Magnificent 19th century house museum that depicts the life of pioneer Edwin Michael Hotel through its many period room settings, an audiovisual presentation, and docent hosted tours. The upper floor features rotating and temporary exhibits such as Alamance County quilts, Native American artifacts, 19th century military artifacts, and antique clothing.
In Barber Park, sports enthusiasts will find the Simkins Indoor Sports Pavilion, the Penn-Wright Baseball Stadium, an 18-hole golf course that is available to everyone free of charge, and a walking trail. The park also contains picnic areas, a playground, and an open-air amphitheater that can be rented for shows and concerts. Sprayground is perfect for hot days when your kids want to play in the water, and also includes a concessions area. The park is open from 8a until sunset. Check the website for each amenity's specific hours.
One of the best presented mill villages in North Carolina, this 105 acre southern mill village was developed by two sons of Edwin M. Holt and consists of a cotton mill complex and an associated worker housing community.
A Greensboro favorite, this beautiful garden features paved walkways that allows you to view the variety of seasonal and annual flowers, plants, and shrubs that fill the garden. There is also a pavilion and a picnic area on site.
The natural beauty of this swampy area has been developed into a striking exhibit that features a half-mile elevated wooden walkway providing easy access through the garden. Various trees, wildflowers, shrubs, ferns and other wetland plants can be examined as you stroll through the grounds.
On February 1, 1960 four African American men carried out a lunch counter sit-in at the F.W. Woolworth Co.'s segregated lunch counter. This statue was designed to remember this turning point and the struggles that followed.
Erected in 1939, this 16,000 square foot library is features the works of painter Varnette Honeywood and is also a fine research facility that houses a reference room, three levels of open stacks, a periodicals room, and much more.