801 Russell St.
Starkville, MS 39759
Phone: (662) 324-9595
Fax: (662) 324-1224
The Mississippi headquarters for the Tombigbee Regional Library System, the Bryan Public Library features a high speed telecommunications network, an automated circulation system with over 116,000 titles, access to the MAGNOLIA (Mississippi Alliance for Gaining New Opportunities through Library Information Access) databases, and interlibrary loan programs with two area University libraries.
This track is a state-of-the-art race facility featuring a 3/8-mile dirt oval and lots of exciting speedway action!
Open daily from January through December, this antebellum mansion is believed to be the place where the first American-made saddle blankets were produced. It is listed on the National Historic Register.
The first home of the South's most prolific playwright now serves as the Welcome Center for Columbus and Lowndes County.
The Charles McLaren House or Riverview is a historical landmark nestled in Columbus. It applies the Greek Revival style of architecture and was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
Twelve Gables is famous for being the meeting place for the local ladies who planned the decoration of Confederate graves in 1866, leading to our nation's first Memorial Day. It is listed on the National Register.
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places, this Greek Revival home is also a National Historical Landmark and is one of the most photographed antebellum homes in the South. Open daily year round, Waverley features a self-supporting curved stairway and an octagonal cupola.
Friendship Cemetery was the site of the first Memorial Day Celebration in 1866. This famous Civil War cemetery is where the Decoration Day ladies met after the Civil War to put flowers on the graves of all the war dead - Northern as well as Southern soldiers. Columbus was written up in New York papers as "the town where flowers healed a nation," and this was the first memorial day in America.
Catfish Alley was the central meeting place and business district for Columbus' African-Americans from the late 19th Century to the 20th Century.
State-of-the-art marina that features a 450 foot transient dockage area, laundry and shower facilities, a covered dry storage area, a boat ramp with launching service, and a large service and parts department. A restaurant and bar overlooking the water is also on site.
This library features some archives of particular interest. Visit the Billups-Garth Archives or the Buckley Geneology Room and browse the extensive records of Columbus history.
This bridge, built by Horace King was completed in 1844. Horace King was a slave who had been freed by his master in 1846 and became one of the most respected bridge builders in the entire southeast.