Comfort Suites Lyon Est Eurexpo
17 Rue de la Cordiere
Phone: (33) 811 030435
Fax: (33) 478 206858
Hotel de Ville de Lyon
Mo to Fr from 08:30 AM to 04:30 PMIn the 17th century the council held offices in the hôtel de la Couronne but a decision was made rapidly to construct a more suitable building. So, between 1646 and 1672, the architect S. Maupin was responsible for building a monument that reflected the ambitions of the city of Lyon: he imagined four buildings around an entrance courtyard (opposite today's Opéra house). In this courtyard, a portico and a grand staircase lead to the "cour d'honneur". The building was barely finished in 1674 when it caught fire and further financing and extensive re-decoration were needed. All the pavilions and the belfry (containing 65 bells) resisted reasonably well until the restoration started in 1700 under the guidance of J.H.Mansart who also improved the outer decor. A magnificent hemicycle-shaped portico decorated with Gods of the sea and a Cyclops was added in the "cour d'honneur". Mansart completed his design with the ancient architecture he so admired. The decoration of the main rooms, such as "la grandeur consulaire de Lyon" painted by T.Blanchet in 1660, was a source of great pride for the city of Lyon and its councilors.