230 Salem Drive
Owensboro, KY 42303
Phone: (270) 926-7675
Fax: (270) 926-7616
Founded as Carnegie Free Public Library in 1913, the Daviess County Public Library got its present name in 1995. Its original location is now the home of the Owensboro Museum of Fine Art. It moved to its current address in 2007 after a massive building was built to accommodate it. Spread across 52,000 square feet (4830.96 square meters), this modern edifice may not have an impressive facade but it does have chic interiors that are contemporary and inviting. The sleek furniture and attractive decorative elements in the reading rooms, children's rooms and Kentucky room make it a good place to sit down and complete a book. Their neatly arranged racks of literary publications cover all genres and also includes music and movie CDs and videos. They regularly host reading events to encourage readers and build up new ones.
Named for Colonel Abraham Owen, Owensboro is the 3rd largest city in Kentucky, and features in the top 100 places to live in America. Archaeological expeditions have revealed the presence of Native American tribes here even in 12,000 BC. The Shawnee Indians stayed on until the arrival of the European invaders who settled it in 1797. The city prospered especially in manufacturing, and soon became a cultural hub with annual fests such as the International BBQ festival, cooking championships and the Annual Owensboro PumpkinFest taking place each year. Visitors have much to look forward to in terms of the museums, churches, parks, synagogues, gardens and Native culture.
The construction of the Old Newburgh Presbyterian Church began in 1851. The place of worship played an important role not only in evolving community life of the city but also during the Civil War, wherein the church bell was used to signal danger to the Home Guard. Remodeled a few times, the church building has seen quite some change and progress, it still reflects history and culture of Newburgh.