11498 Lake Charles Highway
Leesville, LA 71446
Phone: (337) 404-3890
Fax: (337) 404-3964
Located on South 3rd Street, Museum of West Louisiana is a small museum dedicated to Leesville heritage. The museum forms a part of the KCS Railway Depot.
The renowned and distinguished First United Methodist Church in Leesville, Louisiana is a prominent historic site in the region. The construction of the site was done in 1920. The monumental site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It encompasses 1.1 acres (0.45 hectares) of land area. The worshiping avenue is a stellar representation of the Bungalow/Craftsman and the Mission/Spanish Revival styles of architecture. The church operates efficiently through a variety of well-planned and executed programs and activities.
Formerly, the Hodges Gardens, Park and Wilderness Area, the Hodges Gardens State Park has been welcoming visitors since 1956. From lush green lawns to rose gardens, this state park is a beautiful and peaceful place.
The distinguished First United Methodist Church is a famed church organization in DeRidder. It is precisely located at the Pine and North Port Streets and dates back to 1915. It stands as a fine example of the Classical Revival style of architecture and owing to its historical importance, this religious landmark was incorporated in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Part of the historic downtown district of DeRidder, the Beauregard Parish Courthouse was built around the same time as the Beauregard Parish Jail. Once known as “The Hanging Jail,” as two trials that that took place in the courthouse ended in the hanging of the accused, the courthouse is known for having a lighted tunnel that led to the Beauregard Parish Jail. The tunnel was used for easy transportation of accused and prisoners between the jail and courthouse during trials. Although the tunnel and jail are no longer in use, the Beauregard Parish Courthouse still continues to be in use.
No longer in use, the Beauregard Parish Jail has witnessed several trials during its glory days including the trial of two murderers resulting in their hanging. It was after this incident that the jail earned its alternate name, “The Hanging Jail.” A grand structure that illustrates the Gothic architectural style, the jail was well-known for the comfortable standard of living it gave its prisoners - a toilet, shower, lavatory and window are present in each cell. The jail which could hold around 50 prisoners also has an underground tunnel which leads to the Beauregard Parish Courthouse, to allow easy transportation of prisoners. The jail made it to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.