Comfort Suites Kings Bay Naval Base Area
1322 Hospitality Ave.
Kingsland, GA 31548
Phone: (912) 576-7555
Fax: (912) 576-8999
Situated on Georgia's Colonial Coast, this 500 acre park is nestled in a beautiful setting and offers an Olympic size pool and bathhouse, picnic shelters, rental cottages, camping sites, fishing opportunities, four miles of hiking trails, a children's playground, and a miniature golf course.
A small town located on the St Marys River just across the Florida border, it was first settled by the Spanish in the 16th century. In 1792 the town was officially established by legislature. St Marys was the site of the last battle of the War of 1812 when the British captured it, but lost it a month later. Today, visitors embark on the Cumberland Queen for a 45-minute boat ride to Cumberland Island National Seashore where the Carnegies of New York had a 59-room winter retreat, wild horses roam and nature lovers can spend a few days at Sea Camp. The town is home to the Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base and the Coast Guard. Accommodations and attractions include bed and breakfasts, hotels, the 1788 Oak Grove Cemetery, several museums, a marina, shops and restaurants. From the Visitor Center, tours of the city and a ghost tour are also recommended. - Natasha Lawrence
Those who love history or are simply interested in learning more about St Mary's past will find a wealth of information browsing the many gravestones of this cemetery. As one of Georgia's oldest towns and a national historic district, early settlers such as the French Acadians of Canada, French planters from Santo Domingo, notable townspeople and soldiers from many of America's wars, are buried here. A lovely landmark with old oak trees, iron fences and brick walls, there are three sections: the old white, old black and the "new" section. Quiet and peaceful, a stroll through the park-like cemetery reveals an important era of this sleepy little town. Designated parking area just outside the cemetery walls. Generally open sunrise to sunset daily. - Natasha Lawrence
The oldest Presbyterian church building in the state of Georgia, this historic church also has the distinction of being the oldest building in Georgia that has been in continuous use as a church since its erection.
Located in the main thoroughfare of this historic town, this is any visitor's first stop for information and brochures for accommodations, shopping, museums, restaurants, tours, calendar of events, activities and over 27 attractions. Don't forget the self-guided walking tour map. Several guided tours start and end here. One is the narrated tour of the city and another is the Green Elephant Ghost Tour. Staff can help with making hotel reservations as well as tickets for tours. It has a small gift shop where guide books, post cards and other souvenirs can be purchased.
Featuring Doric columns on the front verandah and wide steps leading from the ground up to the second floor main entrance, this historic home is a wonderful example of Greek Revival architecture and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in the late 1830s as the home of Reverend Horace S. Pratt to the First Presbyterian Church which is across the street. The size and style of the building was unprecedented in the area. The Greek Revival style home is two stories with a raised basement. Ownership changed several times since its construction, but luckily it survived the Civil War when it was occupied by the Union Army. In 1965 the property was purchased by the City of St. Marys and has since been preserved as a museum by the Orange Hall Foundation. Each of the rooms are furnished as it would have looked when it was first completed. Visitors can take self-guided tours. It is claimed to be the friendly ghost of 8-year-old Jane Pratt, who died of yellow fever, letting them know she is present. There is a small gift shop. USD3 donation is requested. Street parking is available. - Natasha Lawrence
A full service marina that can accommodate a variety of boats ranging from a luxury cruise liner to a small fishing boat. A concrete floating dock is on site and services such as fuel, provisions, and shower facilities are available.
A 45-minute boat ride from historic St. Marys aboard the Cumberland Queen will take you to the Gilded Age of the wealthy Carnegie family and 59-room Dungeness, their 1880s winter retreat. Forty square miles of beaches, salt marshes, bike trails, a camp ground, a maritime forest, historic buildings and about 150 feral horses draw thousands of visitors each year. Maintained by the National Park Service, guided tours of the grounds are included with the admission fee. The Sea Camp Ranger Station offers a children's program on ecology, wildlife and island history. Bring a picnic lunch, water and a camera.
The Original Town of Fernandina Historic Site was built in 1811. The site was previously home to the Native Americans. However, today, the Plaza San Carlos which is a part of the site is open to public as a picnicking area. Nature enthusiasts also flock to this place to study the nature.
This marina offers numerous amenities and services plus features an adjoining shrimp boat dock where you can watch the fleets of shrimp trawlers arrive home.
The first cross state railroad in Florida, this historic red train station paved the way for wealth and prosperity and now houses the Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center.