First Presbyterian Church of Houston
5300 Main Street
Houston, TX 77004
+1 713 620 6500
Once attended by Sam Houston and his wife in 1845, this church has a long and interesting history. Begun in a pine building lit by whale-oil lamps, it dedicated a "new" building in 1896. That structure was destroyed by fire in 1932, but a determined congregation quickly rebuilt it. The church has a history of mission activity, raising over $20,000 in the early 1900s to build a wing onto the Tubercular Hospital nearby. During that same period of time, the church sponsored Dr. Allen Hutcheson as a medical missionary to China, the first of many missionaries from its own congregation.