121 Darby Dr.
Georgetown, KY 40324
Phone: (502) 868-9500
Fax: (502) 868-9985
The First African Baptist Church and Parsonage is a well-preserved monument. It is sited on West Jefferson Avenue in Georgetown of Kentucky. The church structure is built in Gothic style of architecture. Initially, there existed twin doors for men and women to enter separately, although in the recent past, this has been replaced by a single door entrance in the presence of three lancet arches that enhance it beauty. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1984.
The historic Cardome Centre is situated in Georgetown, Kentucky. James F. Robinson, the Kentucky governor at the time of the American Civil War resided at this property.The word "Cardome" derived from the Latin 'Cara Domas', means 'dear home'. The historic property is available on rent to host weddings, meetings and other events.
Established in 1978, Kentucky Horse Park aims at providing visitors with knowledge regarding horses. Multiple restaurants located on-site offer guests a refreshing break. International Museum of the Horse, American Saddlebred Museum, the memorial and sculpture park gives visitors deeper insight into the history and varieties of horses. Riding on horse-drawn carriages and ponies, make the educational tour around the park an interesting one. The park is also home to the popular Man O War memorial. Screening of equestrian films, horse racing and equestrian shows are regular features at this park. Check the website for varying hours of operation, differing admission prices and further information.
Located to the north east of Lexington, Mt. Horeb Archeological District preserves the Adena culture that once thrived here. The Adena people, who lived from 1000 BCE to 200 BCE, were renowned for their burial mounds, stone works and pottery. The earthworks by these native Americans, that are around 2000 years old, can be viewed here. The site is mostly used for archaeological research, and regular educational tours are conducted.
Spread over 659 acres of land, the Masterson Station Park functions as a green lung to the city of Lexington where families and friends can rent out spaces for picnics with barbecue grills, indoor toilets, volleyball courts and tables. An indoor horse-riding arena makes this park a great option for equestrian lovers who do not have to stray out of the main city. Dog-lovers too have a great time with their furry comrades who can frolic around the specially designated areas equipped with water hydrants and shady trees.
What was originally the Dixie Cup Plant has now become an unusual yet ordinary tourist attraction. This water tower was built in the shape of a Dixie Cup when this company had its office in the city. However, even after it got incorporated into the Georgia-Pacific Corporation, the water tower has remained. Authorities have refused to demolish it as it is known to be used by the city's airport as a reference point.
Kentucky is known for horse racing, thus, it is of no surprise that the Three Chimneys Farm in Lexington is such a popular equestrian farm. The farm was started by Mr and Mrs. Robert N.Clay, two famous horse lovers, whose dream was to start a farm together filled with these magnificent creatures. The Three Chimneys Farm offers tours for those who are interested in seeing how the stallions are bred in this well-maintained place. For further details, do visit their website.
The Ladies' Confederate Memorial is a monument of the civil war era which was erected in 1874. It is located in the Lexington Cemetery and a part of the Civil War Monuments of Kentucky. It has many elements and motifs that make the monument look beautiful. The monument displays grief, unlike other monuments which show patriotism. The monument seems to have inspired by a poem written by the American poet Abram Joseph Ryan.
Founded way back in 1780, making it the first university in Kentucky, the Transylavania University is located in Lexington. Literally meaning “across the woods”, a tribute to its location amongst dense forests, Transylvania offers 36 programs to its students. Having produced many leaders of America, the Old Morrison, located on the campus, is often frequented by many personalities of political importance.
Well known as one of the most important structures of the 19th century was the Henry Clay's Law Office. Currently the structure is only one remaining of the few professional structures of the span. The one story office was built as a law office where as a young aspiring lawyer, Clay practised to become a successful lawyer. Today, the roof of the same structure has been removed to making it larger and is owned by thr First Presbyterian Church.
Lexington is renowned as the "Horse Capital of the World." Downtown Lexington is the heart of the city and is a potpourri of culture, business and residential spaces. Check out historic homes like Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, The Mary Todd Lincoln House, The Hunt-Morgan House, Waveland, Old Fayette County Courthouse and The Lexington Opera House. The Explorium of Lexington is a must visit when in town for everyone who is young at heart. Shoppers will be delighted at the Victorian Square, LaFayette Galleries, Heritage Antiques and The Shops at Lexington Center. Foodies will love Jefferson Street termed as the restaurant district. Historic Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church is among the oldest African-American churches in the nation. Town Branch Distillery is the pioneer distillery of the city and offers tours. The Downtown also hosts festivals and fairs such as the Festival Latino de Lexington and Woodland Arts Fair.
Christ Church Cathedral was established in 1796 though the present structure was built in 1848 by Thomas Lewinski, a renowned Lexington architect. This magnificent Gothic Revival edifice is a dominating feature in Downtown Lexington's skyline and history. It was the first Episcopal congregation in town and is the oldest of its kind in the state. Its interiors are just as stately as its facade. Get impressed by stunning stained glass windows, buttresses, arches and the nave. It is the base of The Episcopal Diocese of Lexington. It is also renowned for its music and is a gallery space for religious art as well.