1007 Market Place Drive
Edinboro, PA 16412
Phone: (814) 969-7000
Fax: (814) 969-7001
Arts & Museums
The John Brown Farm, Tannery & Museum is a tribute to the heroic efforts of John Brown who helped in the Pre-Civil War of Independence. The years 1825 to 1835 were greatly dominated by his unending support to the cause wherein his tannery and farm were also used. A visit here proves educational and also lets you slip back to the days of New Richmond's glorious past. A good time to visit would be May 9th when John was born, and when the entire town gathers to celebrate his legacy.
A historic house museum owned by the Crawford County Historical Society, this four-story home was once the residence of a U.S. Supreme Court Justice and two Meadville mayors. Exhibits, programs, publications, and special events are offered throughout the year. Tours are available from May through September.
Housed in a historic Colonial-style building, the Johnson-Shaw Stereoscopic Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits stereoscopic products, including documents, equipment and photography.
Opened by the Junior League of Erie in the carriage house of the Watson-Curtze Mansion in 1959, the Erie Planetarium offers many different programs for all ages.
Over 1,300 pieces of firefighting memorabilia, including antique fire apparatus, badges, ribbons, fire alarm systems, helmets, uniforms, masks and fire extinguishers, are on exhibit at the Firefighters Historical Museum.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Watson-Curtze Mansion was occupied by only two families before it became a museum run by the Erie County Historical Society. This grand Richardsonian Romanesque-style home has 24 rooms, 17 closets, five bathrooms, 12 fireplaces, hardwood oak floors, mosaics, friezes and stained glass windows. Themed exhibits are held throughout the year.
Designed by the legendary architect William Kelly, the Erie Art Museum is located inside a heritage building built in 1839. Showing Greek Revival architectural influences, first-time visitors are awestruck by the sheer aesthetics of the building. The museum boasts a rather comprehensive outreach program littered with winter classes, ceramic workshops, storyteller nights, open stage nights and community events. Check website for a list of upcoming events and classes.
Designed by Philadelphia architect, William Kelly, the three-story Greek Revival-style Cashier's House is filled with 19th century Empire-style furniture and contains changing exhibits of the period. Operated by the Erie County Historical Society, the circa 1839, Cashier's House is part of a two-building complex that features the Museum of Erie County History and its interactive exhibit, "Voices from Erie County History;" the Admiral Curtze Maritime Hall, an exhibit regarding the area's maritime legacy, and the children's Kovacs Kids Korner.
A hands-on, please touch museum for children ages 2-12 with over 55 exhibits related to science, humanities, arts and health. Monthly classes and on-going events!
The Erie Maritime Museum premier exhibit is the Niagara. Docked for public viewing from September through May and occasionally during the summer each year, the Niagara is "the reconstructed flagship of Pennsylvania and the warship that won the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812." It is a squared-rigged, two-masted warship that was originally armed with 18 carronades and two long guns. Multi-media and interactive exhibits and interpretive programs are available at the Erie Maritime Museum.
This museum chronicles the history of the Erie Plant of the General Electric Company from its planning stage in 1906 to the present by collecting and displaying documents, pictures, memorabilia and models of the people, products and buildings.