Macon, GA 31217
+1 478 742 3003
The construction of Ford Hawkins was commissioned during President Thomas Jefferson's rule and completed in 1810. This domineering structure was once the headquarters of US Army and gained prominence as the economic and political center. It is named in the honor of Benjamin Hawkins, who was the General Superintendent of Indian Affairs. Over the time, wars ceased and peace treaties were signed with the Creek and European-American settlements and the usage of the fort declined. In 1933, government undertook excavations and artifacts and other objects were discovered. With each excavation there are more discoveries and excavations are still being carried on.