1348 McCarter Hwy
Newark, NJ 07104
Phone: (973) 481-5200
Fax: (973) 481-9399
1348 McCarter Hwy, Newark, NJ, US, 07104
- Téléphone : (973) 481-5200
- Télécopie : (973) 481-9399
This is the first county park to be opened for public use in the United States; the four-mile-long park offers many scenic and tranquil vistas of beauty that one may enjoy while going for a stroll beside the water, under the cherry blossom laden trees, watching the birds, ducks, geese, and egrets, or riding bicycles through the park.
The Newark Broad Street Station is a landmark on the cityscape. Built in 1901, it is a passenger rail station of the New Jersey Transit. Its architecture is an example of the Colonial Revival and Renaissance styles. The brick and stone building is replete with a charming clock tower, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart was constructed over the course of a century, specifically erected to feature views of the mountains to the west and downtown Manhattan to the east. First proposed in 1859, the cathedral's cornerstone was finally set forty years later. It wasn't until 1954 that the church was completed and consecrated as a "monument of faith." Pope John Paul II visited this gargantuan French-gothic cathedral in 1995, performing an evening prayer that earned the cathedral the rank of basilica. The Cathedral Basilica regularly holds concerts that are open to the public, played on the largest pipe organ ever created by the Schantz Organ Company.
Eye-catching Gothic-style gates greet you at the entrance of this historic cemetery established in 1843. Widely believed to be one of the city's oldest burial places, Mount Pleasant was envisioned by Horace Baldwin, a prominent citizen and jewelry maker as a resting place in a serene setting. True to his vision, the cemetery sits away from the bustle of downtown Newark on the banks of the Passaic river. The sprawling 40 acre (16.19 hectare) cemetery houses the graves of some of the city's most eminent citizens.
This public library offers an extensive collection of books, periodicals, reference materials, research materials, computer and internet access, audio tapes, video tapes, and many other informational and educational materials.
Built in the late 17 Century, the Military Park actually served as a training ground for Newark's militia. However, today it serves the locals with a beautiful park to relax and enjoy the evening. The park contains monument of the 'Wars of America' and a large concrete sword. The park also has an underground parking area. The Military Park hosts a variety of local events like the Common Greens, a popular farmers market, annual festivals like the Africa-Newark Festival and other concerts.
Established in the year of 1888, First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church is a great spiritual platform. It is situated at Broad and Fulton Streets, and strives to become a religious home for culturally and ethnically divergent communities of New Jersey. The Sunday School is at 9:30a on Sundays, while the worship is at 10:30a. It follows the rare Byzantine-Romanesque style of architecture. A majestic monumental church, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The St. Patrick's Pro Cathedral is a magnificent church building established in 1846. Constructed with the Gothic Revival style of architecture, the church is also a national shrine of Our Lady of El Quinche. The grand church building became a part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 owing to its historical and architectural significance.
Eberhardt Hall is one of the oldest buildings on the New Jersey Institute of Technology campus. This mansion-like structure is a rare example of Gothic Victorian architecture in Newark. Some of the most evident features include the lavish staircase, gaslight fixtures and Victorian furnishings. This building is well-equipped with modern amenities, and its detailed architecture makes it a stand out.
An artistic memorial to all those who lost their lives in World War I, the Wars of America is a sculpture engraved in bronze. Comprising 42 human figurines and two horses, it was made by Gutzon Borglum. Installed in 1926, this sculpture was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
This pre-World War II area is an affluent neighborhood of the city of Newark. Elias Heller was one of the first developers to build an estate here and was followed by wealthy Newarkers who started building their palatial mansions here. Beautiful structures that are designed aesthetically is quite a common feature here. Though few of the old houses were demolished and replaced with swanky apartments, most of the historic homes have been preserved. Popular landmarks include Tiffany factory, Newark Public Library and Sydenham House. Notable residents of Forest Hill are Maria Jeritza, Peter Ballantine and Louis Comfort Tiffany. The New Jersey Historical Society occasionally conducts tours of this area, and the home-owners open their doors for the tourists.
This four-acre park was designed in 1850 and is surrounded by brownstones that served as dwellings for the elite of the Nineteenth Century, and also features an array of impressive statuary, ancient trees, historic buildings, and more.